KILL YOUR INNER CHILD by Samuel Bernstein

Monday, January 16, 2006

Magical Thinking

There are things that should never come true, Oedipal, irreversible things that warp your expectations. Something desperately wished for is plopped in your lap, like it is the most normal thing in the world, like it could happen again. Just for you. You learn to think magically about the universe. Sometimes it can be harmless, like believing if you win at Spider Solitaire then the person you met last night will call today and be your one true love. At its worst magical thinking leads to Santeria and blood sacrifice. I know. I once saw the chicken die. But I had a good reason. A reason that as I post on this blog in the coming days and months will lead you directly to my central point: Do not reclaim your Inner Child. Kill the little bastard.